Wednesday 11 March 2015

CAE Tuesday 01/10/2013. Open cloze


Today in class we made our own open cloze. Use of English Part 2. 

Fill in the gaps using only one word.

I cannot say (1)          am one of nature's born housewives. For a large part of my 20s and early 30s, I tackled housework the Joan Rivers way. "I hate housework," she once said. "You (2)          the beds, you wash the dishes and six months later you have to start (3) ______ over again."

I did no housework for weeks on end, followed by an exhausting two-day blitz. Then it was back to squalor. It was only (4)          I was sent to write an article on the National Trust (5)         I began to see the benefits, even pleasures, of housework applied consistently and professionally. I discovered that housework can bring its own satisfaction and I set about learning  (6)___          much as I could - not (7)             its own sake, but because I was working full-time and didn't have the time or inclination to devote my life to cleaning.

(8)           of this moment of personal revelation grew a column for Weekend that ran for over two years.

The Housewife's Handbook is the book of the column, but when it came to writing it, I realised that housework - surprisingly - had changed since the column ended in 2005. Housework seemed to be in the air to such an extent that it spawned a prime-time television show, How Clean Is Your House? In (9)          , housework, like everything else, had (10)____ green. It no longer means sloshing gallons of bleach about. People want to clean in a way that is going to do least damage to (11)         , their children and the environment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can read the whole article here

As an extra task you can extract some more vocabulary from the article for your vocabulary notebook, such as:

Bananas go black/ bread goes stale etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment